Monday, February 27, 2006

Recipe: Maple Pecan

300 ml Cream
400ml milk
3 egg yolks
~200ml maple syrup
~150g pecans

Milk & eggs and syrup make the custard. While that's cooling, roast the pecans on a baking tray in a 180 degree oven (that's celcius folks) fr 10 minutes or so. Add the cream, put it in the machine, add the pecans once it starts to get thick.

Remarks: Arrgh! for the first time in the history of The Mitch's Ice Cream Sunday the ice cream did not work. Basically it just didn't freeze properly. It got into a semi-solid goopy state and stayed there, even after like 2 hours in the ice cream machine. The good news is I think this was entirely my own fault for putting the mix in the machine before it had totally cooled down (hey - I was in a hurry!) A secondary freezing (after sticking the tub back into the freezer for a few hours) was more succesful. Too late to feed the hungry Ice Cream Sunday patrons though - apologies to all...

So, as long as your careful to chill the mixture in the fridge for a while before you pour it into the machine, then this recipe should work. Don't blame me if it doesn't though. All care, no responsibility, that's our motto here at TMICS!

Oh, and when it finally does freeze, it tastes blow-your-mind mega-great. Nutty but sweet, just like The Mitch himself...awww...

1 comment:

Malinda777 said...

As a young girl I canned and "jellied" with my mom to expertise for years. I recently made jam, and I have 19 jars of WONDERFUL tasting runny plum stuff that ROCKS on ice cream. I'll send you one if you like...:)

No worries, if it came out too soft, it's still good to pour on something, angel cake, over ice cream, something. I still visit, your recipes rock.